Thursday, January 20, 2011

Book Review: Spiraling Up Delivers on Its Mission

My calendar of weekly reading is full. 

It starts with the myriad of e-newsletters that populate my Email inbox -- Computerworld, Infoworld, Informationweek, TechCrunch, GigaOm, Washington Technology, Potomac Techwire, TechBisnow, Fast Company, among others.  Each delivers timely news, as well as a unique perspective on the trends shaping the technology, telecom and security markets.

My night table at home is stacked with issues of the Washington Post, New York Times, BusinessWeek, Fortune and Forbes.  Again, each provides a meaningful and differentiated take on the news.

And finally, my Google Reader brings to me blog posts from public relations firms, social media marketing consultancies, ad agencies, analysts and other pundits.  I subscribe to more than 50 of these musings because they often provide an unfiltered take on what's happening in the industry.

Earlier this month I agreed to review a book about growth strategies for professional services firms because I respected how the PR practitioner pitched me.  Admittedly, I kind of hoped Sean wouldn't follow through and send me a copy of the book.  He did...and I'm now quite happy about it.

That's because Spiraling Up turned out to be an engaging and informative read.  Written by a couple of the top executives at creative and branding firm Hinge, the text steers clear of the heavy brow, academic ramblings that often define business strategy books.

Rather, Spiraling Up gets right to the heart of its mission -- ideas to help leaders of professional services firms more quickly scale their organization.  The writing is in straight-forward English with recommendations supported by extensive research and interviews, rather than experience-based hunches.

Take a stroll over to the publication's promotional Web site and download a copy for free.  It only takes a few hours to read and even the busiest of executives will find it time well spent.

No comments: