Saturday, November 12, 2011

Learn Up on Social While Supporting the Rising Stars Foundation

I grew up in the Washington, DC area.  I attended the University of Maryland.  I’ve built my career in this town.  My wife and I are raising two wonderful sons here.


I’m one of this region’s most fervent cheerleaders and have written about why Washington, DC is such a fertile ground for technical innovation.

In my opinion, Washington/Maryland/Northern Virginia offer the ideal environment for a happy, healthy and productive life.  Just not for everyone.

It’s a disgrace that I can leave my home in Bethesda, drive a mere 30 minutes into the city and arrive in neighborhoods where children have limited educational opportunities.  The public schools do their best, yet confront crime, gangs, drugs and a student body with limited economic means.

Business leader and entrepreneur Oliver Carr has made the academic success of children in our region’s most desperate communities a priority.  His Rising Stars Foundation recently raised nearly $14,000 to provide a year’s worth of school supplies to more 200 children.

I’m joining in to help.  On Thursday, December 1 at 12 PM at a Carr Workplaces office at 1750 Tysons Boulevard in McLean, Virginia, I’ll share a set of best practices for how a business of any size can tap into social media to achieve measurable sales results.

Carr Workplaces will host this event at 1750 Tysons Blvd., Suite 1500.
Rising Stars Foundation suggests a donation of $20 to attend, and lunch and drinks will be provided.

Please consider attending.  I promise it will be an informative session that will give you a running start into 2012.  Plus, your donation will go directly to the Rising Stars Foundation as they pursue such an important mission.

You can learn more about the event and register here:

No comments: