Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Creativity, Unexpected

My introductory sales pitch to a prospective client touches on the corporate attributes that define Strategic Communications Group (Strategic).  I like to keep things to a set of three which, in this case, include:


--Focus on a core set of client relationships;
--Commitment to work/life balance for employees; and
--Passionate pursuit of creativity in the development of social media marketing programs.

I had an interesting response last week from the director of communications at a mid-tier, publicly traded company in the Washington, DC area.  It went something like this:

“Creativity in communications can mean lots of different things in marketing.  Ask an ad agency and they’ll tell you its work that profiles and differentiates the brand.  A PR firm will say it’s an approach that produces a feature article.  A Web shop may say it is the use of hip new widget.  What does creativity mean to you?”

I fumbled the response a bit and, admittedly, over answered the question.  It’s not that I don’t know.  It was more of an issue that I had never been asked that question directly.

So, after a few days of contemplation I went back to the communications director with a simple thought – in social media, creativity is presenting the expected in an unexpected way.

Here are two examples:


No comments: