Friday, August 12, 2011

Say "No" to Spray and Pray

The "spray and pray" methodology that has long defined media relations has gained a following in the world of social media marketing.  I've included below an Email that slipped its way through Strategic Communications Group's (Strategic) spam filter.

I'm an ardent believer in the importance of promoting content created for distribution via social channels.  Yet, it has to be thought-leadership oriented (rather than promotional) and, equally important, relevant to the members of a targeted community.

Yes...that takes work, as well as an understanding of the needs of key audiences.

Apparently, Lee Somerstein doesn't like to put in much effort on behalf of his clients.  I don't smoke cigars or use any tobacco products, so I'm obviously not a member of any relevant online communities.

To me, this is spam.

----------------------------------

Hi,


Watch this video. At the end, you'll find out how you can get 20% off on your entire purchase at Rain City Cigar. This offer is limited to NEW CUSTOMERS so, if you've been in before, bring a cigar-smoking friend. And, join us this afternoon for our HUGE GENERAL CIGAR EVENT.
Lee Somerstein
CEO, Somerstein Communications
Creating Social Media Marketing Magic

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Hey Strategic Guy:

I can't imagine how much fun it would be to attend a HUGE CIGAR EVENT if you don't smoke. What a choking great time!

I'll come back to read more of your blog soon.

Catherine
www.watt-works.com

LeeZard said...

This is a cheap shot from a so-called Facebook friend. Rather than take you on and embarrass you publicly - as you chose to do to me - I will message you via FB.

Lee Somerstein
CEO, Somerstein Communications

Marc Hausman said...

It's not a cheap shot at all, Lee.

You sent me something that I consider spam. It was appropriate for me to blog about it because of the "best practices" approach in the "Strategic Guy" blog's editorial.

BTW...we are not Facebook friends.